Thursday, August 2, 2012


So I decided to throw in Apologia's Exploring Astronomy book which I bought a few years ago. I had planned on doing it Noah's K year, but it was too hard. It is perfect for him this year in second grade. We are on Mercury right now so we made salt dough models of mercury. Noah got a little overzealous making craters on his planet so it kinda flattened it :) Kayla's kinda cracked a little but it is still round. The kids loved doing this. We are also making a solar system on our wall out of paper. The planets are suppose to be comparable in size ratio, but the sun isn't. Sun would be about the size of the room. We have done the first 4 planets and I have to get some poster board to make the next 2 since they are so big so this will have to carry over to next week.
 For the rest of the stuff we have done, let's see. We are almost done with week 6 of BLHFHG. I love the pilgrim books with this set. It is nice to see all that happened. They are in Holland right now. I know when I studied America it would always start with Columbus sailing the ocean blue and then we were there. This is a nice outlook on why the Pilgrims came here too.
  In Sonlight Noah just finished up week 23 and we are about to see the fall of the Assyrian empire. We are almost done with Little Pear too. Next week we will start with Babylon and move on to a new Read aloud. I love finishing and starting new books. We are almost done with week 9 in SL LA 2. He really loves the parts when he gets to make up stories so tomorrow will be fun. We have a picture to look at and then he makes up the story about it. Maybe I will even have him turn it into a little book that he can illustrate since he likes to do that so much. Math is going well too. He is on lesson 27 in Teaching Textbooks 3 and enjoys it. I love TT!!!
  Kayla just finished up week 28 in P4/5 and is still plodding away in LA. We are almost done with week 19 and everything is going well there :) She is doing pretty good listening to the longer chapters in Milly Molly Mandy. I think it will be a good transition into chapter books.

No comments:

Post a Comment