Sunday, March 24, 2013

Adding in SOTW 2 with Core C

So....we have had our first 2 days of school with Core C and I just couldn't help myself but I went ahead and ordered SOTW 2 along with the Activity Guide for this next school year. I am so excited about using SOTW for our spine. I do like CHOW (Children's History of the World) but for some reason SL history confuses me as to where we are heading and I really like the feel that SOTW gives it. Yes, I know SOTW is used in the upper level of Sonlight, but reading a book more than one time is okay :)                      
 One other complaint I hear from people with Sonlight is that there is not enough hands on activities to go along with it and yes you don't have any scheduled, but by combining these 2 programs there is a TON of stuff to do. I have found 2 great sources that are great and wanted to pass them off if you haven't seen them, one is a yahoo group that has a Veritas Press type history cards and time line figures for FREE!!! It is Hannah_hs_helps. She has done them for all 4 of the Story of the World books and they look so good. I had actually considered doing Veritas Press because I wanted to add in some memory work, but with this site you can just print off your own and bammm just as good and it follows SOTW! Nice :) The other one is a blog that is in the works and has all of SOTW 1 and some of 2 done. Here are some great lapbook templates to use along with history. She also has placed on there some other great links to go along with history. Truthfully with these 2 resources along with the Activity Guide for SOTW I think we will have more than enough hands on and other things to go along with history!! I'm also trying to add in some of the resources as I go along to my blog so I can use them in the future too. OK I am excited because I love teaching my kids and learning about history too since I don't remember much from my school days ;)     
   Truthfully if you aren't homeschooling these are nice easy reads that can give you an overview of world history since it is never too late to learn yourself. I know when I have a passion about learning new things and reading it rubs off on my kids and they show the same desire. Sometimes the desire may be about another topic (Noah can read for hours about fish right now) but the wonderful thing is they want to learn and love to learn. Can't wait to do school next week and post about what we have learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment